The National Government Affairs Committee (NGAC) is seeking new members! The NGAC works to support ACNM’s strategic plan and advocacy agenda. Within the NGAC, we would ideally like to have representation from each state for grassroots advocacy on federal legislation. These advocacy efforts would include communicating federal legislative and regulatory efforts to the affiliate, coordinating meetings with legislators, and contributing to dialog on various pieces of legislation and regulation.
Qualifications of Members
- Member of the ACNM in good standing, with the majority of members being active members of the ACNM
- Able to participate in committee activities, including checking and responding to email communication weekly as needed (except for extenuating circumstances
- Agrees to a pledge of confidentiality and conflict of interest
- Knowledge and interest in the political and policy activities of ACNM
- Skills in organizational management
- Able to attend and serve as needed during the Annual Meeting at least every other year (except for extenuating circumstances). A member who does not attend the Annual Meeting for two consecutive years may be dropped from committee membership.
- Able to participate in at least half of the monthly to quarterly conference calls. A member who cannot participate in at least half may be dropped from committee membership at the discretion of the Chair.
Responsibilities of the Members
- Familiarity with legislation related to midwifery
- Grassroots/grasstops advocacy coordination including coordinating meetings, and email campaigns
- Educate CNMs, CMs, midwifery students, and other supporters of the profession about the political process and encourage their participation in legislative advocacy
- Serve as resources for local affiliates for state legislative advocacy
- Serve and attend meetings and events as needed during the Annual Meeting. Each committee member will staff the Midwives-PAC/GAC booth for the purposes of fundraising and ACNM member education on the NGAC
- Mentor potential future committee members
The application deadline is November 1st. Please contact Lexi Garbus, Chair of the National Government Affairs Committee, at email@example.com with questions.
Quickening is the official member publication and digital news site for the American College of Nurse-Midwives. Content is written by and for ACNM members and staff.